Among the large number of users who use Facebook, many are wondering why "Friendship suggestions", as they were called before, or " People You May Know «, As this section is currently known, reach their notifications.
The reality is that there are several reasons why Facebook sends these suggestions and that is exactly what we will dedicate to explaining to you in this blog.
Why does Facebook send friend suggestions? What does it mean?
Some people have the idea that it is boring for Facebook to post these tips, while others see it as an advantage in increasing their popularity. Whether you have one way of thinking or the other, it will be helpful to know what Facebook protocol is to send you "Friendship suggestions" or "People You May Know."
These suggestions that Facebook sends are based on factors determined by the social network's algorithm, such as the following:
- To have " Common friends »With the people you follow.
- Search for the contacts you have created within Facebook.
- People who searched for you on the social network.
- Contacts stored on your mobile phone (this happens when you sync your contacts with your Facebook account).
- People you have on other social networks like Instagram.
In the Facebook support service you will also find these and other reasons such as:
- Belong to the same Facebook group.
- Be tagged in the same photo.
- Your networks, such as: work, school or university; Anyone who matches the suggested users.
When these suggestions appear in your notifications, it means that Facebook has detected that said user or users are satisfied at least two of these requirements. Some say these suggestions only appear because they are people who have visited your profile more than once. But, as you see, there are several points that Facebook considers.
Why don't I have mutual friends with some friendship tips on Facebook?
Once you have these reasons, you can enter the profile of said suggested user and it turns out that although it appears in the "People You May Know" section, is a complete stranger. Or in other cases, not having mutual friends. If this happens to you, it may have been for these two reasons:
- Although Facebook always updates the "People You May Know" section to suggest friends, the system may be wrong.
- You may not have mutual friends because the user suggested has his friends list set to "Private", which prevents the mutual friends list from being displayed.
Therefore you shouldn't be afraid if the person is unknown to you, just make sure you really know the suggested person, and if in doubt you can automatically accept or decline all Facebook requests.
What can I do to stop Facebook from suggesting a person to me again?
If you are uncomfortable with a suggestion or do not want to send the request to that user, you can delete it easily, or ask to stop receiving friend requests from strangers on facebook. What you have to do is find the field corresponding to "friend suggestions" and click on the "x". Or if you want to block the user and therefore no longer appear in the suggestions, follow these steps:
- Log into Facebook Web as usual.
- Go to the Facebook menu at the top right.
- At the end of the list, «Settings» is displayed, there you need to click.
- Go to the bottom of the list and click on «Privacy».
- A “Block” button appears, where you can write the name of the person you want to block.
- After it appears in the search, press "Block".
- Facebook will ask you for a confirmation, where you will have to click "Block" again.
If this method sounds too boring, try this:
- Go to the person's profile.
- Find the "More" button and click on it.
- When the list of options is displayed, press «Lock».
So, these are the reasons why we receive friendship suggestions on Facebook. If you want to get to know this popular social network, be sure to visit our blog.