What are cookies?
Cookies or IT cookies: they are harmless data files (they are not codes or programs) created by a website, with the purpose of memorizing some navigation data of users when they use the internet.
The cookies were created in 1994 by the programmer Lou Montulli who worked at the Netscape company, the goal of these first cookies was to keep the virtual shopping cart full; therefore from that moment on, cookies are widely used on most web pages.
We need to clarify that the cookie s never delete information from your smartphone, tablet or PC or steal confidential information, because they are not viruses ; nor will they keep bank details, photos, passwords, e-mails or credit cards.
You can configure your browser to remove the cookie warning from web pages or you can delete them after a certain time; But you have to keep in mind that many web pages do not function properly without cookies.
What are cookies used for?
- Helps to perform faster searches and efficient.
- When you log into a portal and fill out a form, cookies will help you remember information when you return to that page.
- Cookies are a great asset to the marketing because they help attract new customers, study their interests, allow you to view ads on other websites and you can keep track of the type of users who visit your page.
Most common types of cookies
- Temporary: these are cookies that are used only while the user visits a particular web page, once he exits that page or closes the browser, the cookies are deleted.
- Permanent: they store information on users' web habits for a predetermined period of time or until the user removes it from the browser.
- Origin: they are created by the visited website itself.
How do cookies work on web pages?
The whole process begins when a user first visits a website and accepts the terms and conditions of cookies; then said page sends the information to the browser which creates a text file which is saved on the PC hard drive.
When the user accesses that page again, the browser will search for that file or the cookies you created the first time and will immediately send the information to the server of that website; therefore you will no longer need to fill in the forms again, because the data you entered the first time will be remembered.
A perfect example where i cookie they are used frequently it is when you are looking for a particular item in a virtual shop, when you enter that store again, you will see offers featured in the item you searched for during your previous visit.
Many users are suspicious of cookies because they think their privacy is at risk. In fact, many users usually delete the cookies of a particular web page, but in reality cookies are not a danger, on the contrary they improve your browsing experience and help you find things of interest that browsing without them would be difficult to find.
Other users also try to delete cookies from time to time because they can slow down the browser, as happens mainly in Google Chrome. In this case, this will not be enough, as you need to delete the Chrome browsing history as well.