What are the most dangerous places to connect to a Wi-Fi network?
Le public Wi-Fi networks they can become a real danger to equipment such as tablets, smartphones, laptops. They are also a threat to the security and privacy of users; as they are access points manipulated by cybercriminals to lure victims. That's why it's extremely important to protect yourself from open Wi-Fi networks in the right way.
Attacks on Wi-Fi networks are known as man in the middle ; because there is an intermediary (cyber attacker) between the information we send from our computer and the website we visit. That is why they are effective and difficult to detect attacks.
Cybercriminals mainly use crowded sites to create and configure Wi-Fi networks false or configure public networks to lure their victims and commit crimes, such as stealing personal data or infecting computers with malware. The most dangerous places to connect to a Wi-Fi network are:
Airports, train and bus stations
These are very popular places from all kinds of people, including tourists, who usually wait long hours or are eager to communicate with friends, family or other people; The best way to communicate or get distracted is to use the internet and Wi-Fi networks are the best ally, but at the same time opens the doors of our privacy to criminals.
These are places where you can find a large variety of shops, offices, banks and a large number of people who come to these places to perform an infinite number of tasks; That's why access to Wi-Fi networks are very common, so the attackers frequent these places.
Libraries, museums, hotels, cafes and restaurants
Usually in these places there are many people with tablets, smartphones and laptops that use Wi-Fi networks to play more activities, thus opening the door to their computers for cyber attacks.
They are places very popular with people who go to rest, read, exercise or walk; therefore they are ideal sites to find reti Wi-Fi false which seem legitimate, but are actually a scam to access our computers.
Cybercriminals or hackers implement fake networks and replicate the exact name of another authentic network in so that users can access it without suspecting that it is a fraudulent network and that the aforementioned sites are perfect places to deceive people.
Tips to protect yourself in the most dangerous places to connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Use HTTPS secure encryption or verify that the website has a green lock icon that ensures it is a secure page.
- Keep your computer's operating system up to date with the latest version.
- Install antivirus and the best antimalware programs on your computers and update them frequently. This way you will avoid security holes.
- Frequently update your web browser.
- If it is not necessary, do not access online services in where you have personal information, such as e-mails, social networks or bank accounts, it would be ideal to use mobile data to access these sites.
- Use a VPN to browse, as they allow a secure connection, a great application is Norton WIFI Privacy.
- Use common sense and avoid using Wi-Fi networks with catchy names, such as Free Internet, Free Wi-Fi, Free Network; because these are baits used by hackers.
- When you are done using a Wi-Fi network, deactivate it on yours device .
- If you are in a hotel, coffee shop, museum, library or anywhere else, ask an employee what the name of the Wi-Fi network is, this will help you make sure you are joining a network. legitimate.
We currently need to be connected to internet e la rete wifi it's a big plus; but at the same time it is a great threat to our privacy and security, because many of these networks are created by cybercriminals with the intention of violating the security of users; so use common sense when connecting to a Wi-Fi network.