What are the hardware components of a router?
Before explaining what the parts are hardware of a router, you will surely wonder what hardware is and what its function is. And it is that knowing this will help us a lot, since in this way we can easily diagnose problems in the hardware and software even of, in this case, a router.
In summary, when we refer to the hardware of a computer or an electronic device, we are talking about all the physical or tangible parts of it, which make it work properly.
Having clarified this, we can specify which ones they are the parts that make up a router, and what function they have inside it.
What parts does a router hardware have?
There are several parts that the hardware of a router has and WiFi works thanks to them. The different parts of the router are:
- RAM: or the acronym for random access memory, is the part that takes care of storing the data of the routing table, the packet queues, the fast switching cache and the current configuration of the router. When you turn it off, all the information stored in the RAM are lost.
- CPU: or even unit processing center, which is somewhat one of the most important parts of the device, as it is responsible for executing commands from the operating system.
- NVRAM: This is non-volatile random access memory and works to store the router's startup configuration.
- Flash Memory: This memory allows you to store in the router a general picture of software costs. Cisco IOS. The images in question can be updated when necessary.
- Bus: The CPU bus and the system bus are, so to speak, communicators that carry information where it is needed.
- Interfaces - allow you to connect the router outside of it.
- ROM: or read-only memory, works to save the monitor ROM or boot diagnostic code forever.
- Power: Allows the router to have the electrical power it needs to function.
- Chassis: allows you to install the modules needed by the router.
- Console / AUX Ports: Makes initial configuration of the router possible.
In addition to all these parts, a router has USB and Stack inputs that allow you to connect certain cables necessary for its operation.
What are the software components of a router?
The software is the operating system of the router and any computer, as it allows the aforementioned parts to function correctly. And like the hardware, it has several components which are:
- Internetwork Operating System: this part deals with the management of software and hardware resources that give life to the router.
- Configuration files: these files are the ones that save the different commands of the router's IOS. They can be files from the current configuration of the device, or from the beginning, when it is loaded to start using it.
While there aren't many software components to tell them, they actually are very powerful, as without these the router would be just a bunch of inert parts. Of course, every part of the router is very important, so we encourage you to find out the types of hardware and software that exist. This way you will find out a lot more about how your router works.
Being very clear on how what you get will help you excellently set up and get the most out of your router.
We hope that all of this information has been useful to you and that you can learn more about the operation of your devices, such as your router, so you can enjoy them more and get the most out of them.