By now, you may have already learned some basic features of using the tools in Adobe Illustrator; such as attaching hair or hair effect to an image or more complex things like raster effect. To enrich your knowledge in digital graphic design we have prepared this article. Here you will learn how to use the tool gradient fill in Adobe Illustrator.
How can you use the gradient fill tool in Adobe Illustrator?
One of the advantages of Adobe Illustrator is that it provides a wide range of possibilities during the modification of objects or images, which are nothing more than graphic assets that you can create or import.
Steps to use the gradient fill tool in Adobe Illustrator
You should know that the use of the tool fill gradient it is usually applied to combine two or more colors or add lighting effects. Mostly you work on silhouettes or a vector image; If you want to transfer an image in vector, you can do it with this program, as they are objects that give the possibility to use a fill with the color and gradient tool.
After choosing a template or creating the vector image you will work on, first choose the color for the fill and then the gradient fill tool works on this color. How to do it? just follow these simple steps carefully:
Choose a color for the fill gradient
- Go to box of color in the toolbar, which is at the bottom, there select the color option,
- Then select a color by double clicking on the box of colore and finally Ok.
Work with the fill gradient tool
- First go to the gradient fill tool, which is located on the toolbar. Now click on the area of the object where you will apply the gradient. Then, click on the card of gradients to open the gradient panel.
- adjust the settings area of bar of gradients, you will find a scale that you can move freely with a slider, so that you can set the tone and gradient level you want, as it will always show you black and white as the starting color and the ending color respectively by default,
Using other gradient shades
- If you'd prefer to use other gradient fill shades, click this scale's slider, click the drop-down arrows and select a color scale, then in the same dialog you can choose a color . If you want to change the angle or the direction of the applied fill gradient, just click on the selection and drag the slider, until it rotates in the direction you want, so you can simulate a glowing effect.
- In the same gradient panel you will have the option to change the opacity and aspect ratio. After making all the adjustments, if you are not completely satisfied with the fill and gradient you have applied, simply click on the option Cancel and proceed with other adjustments.
Types of gradient fill
In the gradient panel you also have the option to choose the gradient type:
- Radial: where it will take on a circle or oval shape,
- Linear: where colors form parallel lines, this gradient is ideal for applying it to lines or edges of objects, and
- Free Form: where in turn you will have a couple of more options: points and lines.
How to get a 3D effect on the object
- In bar of gradient, click to get another slider. In the same color range choose a softer tone.
- You can add more colors to the gradient, click on the gradient bar to add more sliders, to the same extent that you will add more colors if you prefer until you get a 3D effect.
- You can apply the same technique to create 3D spheres; In this regard we have an exclusive section for this topic.
We are sure that you will get an impact on your logos, or any of your images with this short guide on how to use it gradient tool di fill in in Adobe Illustrator. Start bringing these graphic assets to life now, which will help you complete and improve documents created with Adobe Illustrator.