Maybe you've sometimes seen a YouTube video that's soft enough that you can't feel anything. Many times it also happens to find a text in another language and want to have an idea of what it says. Stay to the end and find out how turn on subtitles in YouTube videos from Android, iOS and PC.
Currently, this platform allows users to add subtitles to their videos, and it is also excellent for good search engine rankings, although many people don't know how to turn on youtube subtitles.
How to turn on subtitles in YouTube videos from Android, iOS or Windows?
In this article, we will tell you how to turn on and force subtitles whenever you want. We will also explain how to translate them automatically, which will be very useful when you watch videos in another language.
You should know that even if you don't know how to make video subtitles appear on YouTube, you should know that this task is extremely simple and that you can do it from your PC or from a mobile app of Android or iOS systems.
1- From your computer
Yes, surely you've gone too far when you watch your videos and you don't quite hear what they're saying, or maybe the video is in a different language than you speak and you don't understand anything. Maybe you just want to practice the language and this will help you a lot.
Nowadays it is very common for authors to use subtitles to reach a wider audience, whether they are hard of hearing or speak other languages. This factor is also essential in search engine optimization as mentioned earlier.
Likewise, YouTube also automatically generates subtitles for certain videos, although it must be taken into account that they do not always maintain adequate precision, everything will depend on several factors.
Well, this platform offers us the possibility of activating them in many cases in a very simple way, since works with the STR format:
- First of all, you need to log in to the YouTube website, you can see it as a common visitor or log in to your Google account to interact more with the site.
- You should find the video you need to translate using the search bar.
- When you find it, you need to look at the playback screen. There are several icons in the lower area - you should choose the configuration logo and click on the option «Subtitles ".
- Once you click on that option, the subtitles will be turned on and you can enjoy them. If you want to disable them, you will have to press the same button again.
2- From the application for Android and iOS
Yes, activating subtitles in YouTube videos from a computer is very simple, although you should know that you can also do it from your Android device or your iPhone.
The procedure is very simple:
1- Using Android.
It is necessary to point out that this platform makes use of Google Translate, which means that you can choose the subtitle language you want, whatever you want, regardless of what the editor who uploaded them has done.
- First, you need to open the video on your Android device.
- You need to click on the three dots icon to bring up the menu options, then a list will appear.
- Choose the icon » CC» and then choose the subtitle you want to view.
- If you want to disable subtitles, you can do it by following the same procedure in reverse.
2- Using iPhone.
The procedure for activating subtitles in YouTube videos is the same as in the case of Android mentioned above.
- Start by opening the video in the YouTube app for iOS.
- Find the three dots icon at the top right of the screen and tap it to bring up a list of options in the menu.
- You have to press the icon «CC» and select the language you want for the subtitles.
- If you want to disable them, press « againCC» to make them completely disappear from the screen.
It is good to bear in mind that in both Android and iOS, if there are no subtitles available in the video, it will not be possible to press the «CC» or it just won't appear.
3- How to force subtitles for embedded videos
Now, if you own a blog or website and want to save your visitors the tedious work of activating it, we can still do that to help you. You have to keep in mind that, by default, YouTube will play videos in the usual way. However, if you apply a simple enough trick, you can have them automatically displayed in the language of your choice.
It consists of changing the URL of the video's embed code so that these parameters indicate that it will be shown with subtitles.
With the help of these steps, you can do it very easily:
- Go to your Youtube video and choose the option «Share ".
- When the window opens, you need to click on » Insert«.
- You will be shown the code you need to paste into the input.
- Before inserting the code into our article or post, find the URL and change the address by adding the following at the end: «rel=0&hl=es&cc_lang_pref=es&cc_load_policy=1?» (without quotation marks). This is for Spanish subtitles, in English it looks like this: «rel=0&hl=en&cc_lang_pref=en&cc_load_policy=1» (even without quotation marks).
After completing these steps, your videos will automatically appear on your website with Spanish or English subtitles. Note that this doesn't work if the video has no subtitles or if you add a code to the end of the url of the video you are watching because you need to change some elements like «Look» in «Incorporates«.
Steps to change subtitle language on YouTube
Well, now that you know how to turn on subtitles in YouTube videos, it's time for you to know how to use the language. Even if it turns out that the video, for example, is in French and the subtitles too. If you don't speak this language well, maybe you won't understand anything.
Don't worry, as there is a possibility that the author has put subtitles in different languages, especially when it comes to international news networks whose content is distributed worldwide.
If you want to select a different caption than the one shown in your video, follow these steps. If you haven't enabled subtitles yet, you will after reading the following:
- When the subtitles come out, you need to click on the icon «Settings «.
- Choose the option » Subtitles ".
- A list with all the available subtitles will appear, you have to choose one and you will be able to see it on the screen.
- Keep in mind that on many occasions it is absolutely certain that the author has not added any subtitles or has inserted only one in the original language.
Can you automatically translate the Spanish subtitles of a YouTube video?
It is likely that the English video you are watching does not have Spanish subtitles. If so, you should translate the existing ones, but no… You don't have to translate word for word and enter it into Google Translate.
With just a couple of clicks you can perform this simple task:
- If you have already activated subtitles, you should go to the section » Settings«.
- You have to click where it says «Subtitles«, then a list of options will open.
- In it you will see that in addition to the available subtitles there is an option called «Translate automatically«, you need to click on that option.
- Next, you have to choose the language. In this case, we will look for «Spanish«, since languages are in an order, based on the alphabet.
- Once this is done, the video will be shown with subtitles in the language of your choice.
How to add subtitles to a YouTube video that doesn't have them?
Unfortunately, YouTube doesn't automatically generate subtitles for all videos. Although today there are extensions for Google Chrome that are responsible for localizing subtitles online when it comes to movies or feature films, as well as documentaries to add them easily. However, it won't help you when you need to watch a tutorial or some news video.
Among the complements to carry out this task there are:
Subtitles for Youtube
Download YouTube subtitles for Chrome.
As we said before, this is very useful if your video is about a film or a documentary, because it looks for a SRT file corresponding. One of the sources to get subtitles is with the help of opensubtitles.org.