Facebook may be responsible for putting the word «social» on social media, but there are times when you don't want – or don't have the time – to interact with friends.
If you want to log into Facebook and not worry about your friends seeing you and trying to chat, you can easily change your «active state» so that it appears offline.
There are no less than four places where you can check your active status. There are both Messenger and Chat on the Facebook website if you're browsing, as well as the Facebook mobile apps and Facebook Messenger.
How to hide that I'm active on Facebook in a web browser
►Read: How to Change Facebook Language◄
Unfortunately, Facebook still treats Facebook Messenger and Facebook Chat as different things in your web browser, even if all your conversations end up in the same window.
Maybe you didn't even realize that Facebook has two different instant messaging features on the web.
Here's the difference: When you click the Messenger link on the left side of your Facebook page, you open Facebook Messenger.
But if you message someone from the popup that appears in your Facebook news feed, that's Facebook chat. We recommend setting your active status for both.
- 1. Open Facebook in a browser.
- 2. In the Chats tab in the lower right corner of the screen, click the team icon, then click «Deactivate active state«.
- 3. In the focus window that appears, click on «Turn off focus for all contacts» and then click «OK«.
It is worth noting that you can only make it appear that you are offline for certain users. If there are one or more people you prefer not to chat with, you can choose “Turn focus off only some contacts…” and enter those names.
You can also do the opposite: choose «Turn off focus for all contacts except…». This way you can appear offline to almost everyone, but allow a select few people to see your true active status.
How to hide that I'm active on Facebook Messenger when using a web browser
- 1. Click on "Messenger»On the left side of the screen.
- 2. Click the gear icon at the top left of the Messenger panel, then click «Settings«.
- 3. Deactivate the option «Show when active» moving the cursor to the left.
How to hide that I'm active on the Facebook mobile app
- 1. Open the Facebook app on your phone.
- 2. Touch the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner (labeled «hamburger menu").
- 3. Touch «Settings and privacy«, then tap «Settings«.
- 4. Touch «Active state» in the privacy section.
- 5. Deactivate the option «Show when active» by moving the cursor to the left and then confirm by tapping «off«.
How to show that I'm offline in the Facebook Messenger mobile application
- 1. Open the Facebook Messenger app on your phone.
- 2. Tap your profile avatar in the top left of the screen.
- 3. To touch "Active state«.
- 4. Deactivate the option «Show when active» by moving the cursor to the left and then confirm by tapping «off«.
►You may also be interested in: What are the best Facebook-like apps?◄
To hide the status that indicates that I am active on Facebook and Messenger, you just need to follow these tips in a synchronized way depending on whether you are on a computer or a smartphone. Remember that if you have any questions you can leave us your comment at the end of the article.