If you know someone's phone number, you may be able to use it to find their Facebook account someone's. As long as the phone number is associated with an account, the account will appear when searching for the phone number. This article will show you how to look up a number on facebook using the phone website or the phone app.
How to look up a phone number
- Go to https://facebook.com in a web browser. This method will work the same on computer, phone to tablet.
- Sign in if prompted.
- Click on search bar to activate the text field. You will see this bar at the top of the page.
- Enter the number of phone of 10 digits, including the area code. Make sure you press the ↵ Enter or ⏎ Enter key on your keyboard to start the search. You can enter the phone number as "(555) 555-5555" or "5555555555" as the format doesn't matter.
- It should appear a single search result. If you don't get a result, it's likely that person has your profile set to private and won't appear in search results. It's also possible that they don't have a Facebook account linked to that phone number.
- Click on that search result. This is the Facebook account associated with the phone number you entered.
Using the mobile app
- Open Facebook on your phone or tablet. This app looks like a white "f" on a blue background. You can find this app on your home screen, in your app drawer, or by searching.
- This method works for phones and tablets iOS and Android.
- Tap the search icon Image titled Android7search.png. You will see this magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the app.
- When you tap the search icon, you'll see a list of all your recent searches, as well as your keyboard.
- Type the number you want to search. Is it possible that you have to press the key? 123 to switch to the non-alpha keyboard.
- Enter the 10-digit phone number, including the area code. Make sure you tap the search key or access the keyboard to start the search. You can enter "(555) 555-5555" or "5555555555", the format doesn't matter.
- It should appear a single search result. If you don't get a result, it's likely that person has their profile set to private and won't appear in search results.
- Tap that search result. This is the Facebook account associated with the phone number you entered.
Search Facebook by the person's name
The main search bar at the top of the website is a way to find people on facebook by name. You can type the person's name and then filter the results to narrow them down.
Here are some tips to remember when using Facebook's People Finder:
- When you're only searching for people on Facebook, select People at the top to avoid finding Pages for businesses, events, and other content.
- Use i filters on the left to make the results more relevant. For example, search for former classmates on Facebook using their first name and the Education filter (choose their school), or choose a company they worked for at work to find colleagues with that name.
- You don't have to be associated with the person to find them on Facebook. Select Choose a city, Choose a school and/or Choose a company to search for profiles with this information in them.
Search Facebook based on the school they went to
Don't know the person's name? You can still do a Facebook search for someone even if you're not sure what their name is. Knowing what school they went to or what university they attended, for example, makes finding them online much easier.
Search Facebook for the school, then choose People to filter the results by people on Facebook who have that school listed in their profile. Since many identification add the school(s) they attended or used to go to their profile, finding someone on Facebook suddenly becomes a lot easier.
Use one of your friends
Using one of your Facebook friends to find another person is one of the best ways to find someone if you suspect that person has something to do with one of your existing friends.
For example, if the person used to work with you and/or another friend, or you all went to the same school or lived in the same city, a mutual friend search is your best bet for finding them.
There are a few ways to do this:
- Visit a friend's profile and select the Friends tab to see all your friends. You can view and search the full list or read about your friends and friends from recently added groups, such as your workplace, hometown or high school.
- Another way to find a friend of a friend is to browse the People You May Know page, which is a list of people you may know based on your Facebook friends.
- Follow step 1 above, but use the Friends of Friends filter.
Find people in public groups
Groups are another way to find people online with facebook. If you know the person is interested in a particular topic, you can search for groups you might be in.
To do this, search for a group in the search bar at the top of Facebook, then select Groups from the menu. Once you are on the group page, open the Members section to find the search bar.
Make sure you select Public Groups if you want to be able to see their members (closed groups require you to be a member to see other people who have joined).