Block a contact on WhatsApp it is a simple and liberating procedure that allows you, for your peace of mind and sometimes for your safety, to maintain a virtual distance in your messaging with those people you do not want to receive messages or calls from and here we tell you how to do it.
Believe it or not, WhatsApp has very clear rules when it comes to protecting the privacy of its users and therefore offers different alternatives and ways so that you can limit communication between an unwanted or problematic contact and your account within WhatsApp, the instant messaging platform.
In addition to allowing you to block a user, WhatsApp it also offers an additional mechanism to report those accounts that could send offensive content, spam and that could violate the rules of good use of the platform, so you can make sure that it stops annoying you and other users too.
Block a WhatsApp contact: step by step
The first procedure that we will show you is to block WhatsApp contacts and although it is a very simple action to perform, we will tell you exactly how to do it, but first you must keep in mind some considerations:
- Blocked contacts will not be able to call or send you messages.
- Blocked contacts won't be able to see your last seen, online information, status updates, or changes to your profile picture.
- Blocking someone doesn't remove them from your contact list or phone address book.
And while there's no official way to tell if you've been blocked from WhatsApp or not, there are some signs that indicate it.
Now yes, the block procedure:
- First, log into the WhatsApp application and then go on the other options icon located at the top a right of the screen.
- There enter the Settings and then select the Accounts option
- Now you have to go to the Privacy option and select Blocked contacts
- Now you need to click on the Add option and then search for the contact in your list that you want to add to block them.
You can also do it with the following method:
- Enter the chat with the contact you want to block
- Then access the More options menu icon and click on the More option
- Now choose the option Block
- There you can choose between the Block or Block and Report option
The other method would be to enter the chat, press the contact name and then go to the end of the options and press the Lock option.
Things change a bit if you don't have a number that texts or calls you via WhatsApp registered as a contact, however there is also a native method to block and report this kind of unknown contact.
It will be as easy as pressing the block button that appears at the start of the chat, as well as pressing the report and block option at the same time.
Report a contact
Now we explain how report a contact, because sometimes blocking it is not enough considering that things got a little out of control and the person behind this account could cross many lines and break many rules:
- Enter the WhatsApp application and go to the chat of the contact you want to report
- Now go to the More Options menu icon and then hit the More button and then select the Report option.
- You can also choose to block the user and delete chat messages, for this you must select the corresponding option.
- You can also perform the procedure by pressing on the contact's name and then go to the bottom of those options and choose the option Report contact in red.
You should know that when you report a contact or a group, WhatsApp receives the most recent messages you've received from them, as well as information about their recent interactions in order to evaluate the error and take action.
Unblock a WhatsApp contact
Now let's think for a moment that if you decided to block a user it was the product of a momentary inconvenience, but after a few days of reflection or conversation and realizing that it was a misunderstanding, you decide to unblock that person, then you have to follow the following procedure:
- Access the WhatsApp application and then press the More options menu icon
- Now go to Settings and select the Account option
- Then choose the Privacy menu and go to Blocked Contacts
- Now tap on the name of the contact you want to unblock
Select the Unlock to option, from now on you and your contact can write to each other and call you again, as well as having access to all information such as statuses and your profile picture.
It is important to know that if you unblock a contact, you will not receive messages, calls or status updates that the contact has sent you while it was blocked.
Now, if you decide to unblock a contact or phone number that you hadn't previously saved in your phone's address book, don't you will no longer be able to restore it to your device and the information of that contact not memorized will also be lost, unless you decide to contact you again through the platform.
Your privacy settings will be subject to what you have established in your privacy, i.e. they will be able to see the last time you connected, the statuses, photos and the read receipt, as long as you have configured it this way.